Welcome to our blog! In our home, living life to the fullest often means we simply survive the day. We laugh, we learn, we cry, we play; we embrace chaos while pursuing sanity, and above all, we love fiercely.



Thursday, September 1, 2011

Our Cloth Diaper Experience - an Overview

At first I wrote a HUGE post on this....but it was just too much in one post, so here are some *quick* essentials from my point-of-view. I'll do more detailed posts later.

Sophia wearing her cloth diapers at about 15-16 months old
Diaper pail - a MUST. Ours is the Economy Diaper Pail from Babyworks.com. It locks in odors, it's large, and it's super easy to clean. Either I poor in a little Bac-Out and water, wipe and rinse, or I'll just rinse it out with water and set it out in the sun for a bit. I know lots of people who use wet bags for this job, but I prefer the pail - it never leaks!

Diaper sprayer - the Potty Pail. We started with the mini shower sprayer sold through Babyworks, but our current place has hard water, and it killed that sprayer (actually two). We now have the Potty Pail, and oh. my. gosh. It's fab. The pail means less spill, and no bending over (a God send when you're pregnant!). Also, it can double as a utility sink as there's a hole in the bottom and a stopper on a chain if you need it. The actual sprayer component is great, too. It's the most powerful sprayer we've seen. You can order the pail and sprayer separately - so if you choose to forego the pail, I highly recommend the sprayer on it's own.

Wet Bag - a must for travelling. We use Planet Wise. It's pretty good, although it will leak at the zipper if it gets too full, and it does smell if there's a poopy diaper in there. As far as I can see it's the most recommended brand, which is why I got it, but I'm always keeping an ear open for a better one.

Wipes - Kissaluvs terry wipes. I LOVE our cloth wipes. Every time I use a disposable wipe, I curse myself as I have to use SO MANY to clean up a mess. With a massively poopy diapers, I'll use two cloth wipes at most. I would easily use five or six disposable wipes on the same diaper. Maybe it's just me - maybe I just have a disposable wipe deficiency. I also have a small wet bag so I can carry wet cloth wipes around in the diaper bag.

Diapers and covers - AAAGGHH!! :) We've used several, so I'll try and keep this as short as possible. In the beginning we were going for inexpensive, so I chose Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and Chinese pre-folds from Babyworks. This system did not work for us - it was a lot of work, and we had lots of leaking with the Bummis. After doing a trial with different fitteds, pockets and all-in-ones, we chose Bum Genius 3.0. These were FABULOUS until the velcro wore out. Also, after two years they were wearing thin and started leaking. I ordered two wool covers from Royal Buns to put over the Bum Genius at night - what a life saver!!

When Dominic was born we had Kissaluvs fitteds in size 0, with a Marvel one-size cover. Excellent, excellent newborn system. Those diapers are amazing - the poop never even escaped the diaper (read: the cover was never soiled)! When he outgrew those we switched to Best Bottoms from Nicki's Diapers. They are SUPER trim, and fairly absorbent, although we had issues when Dominic was younger with sizing and leaking - we no longer have these issues. He's 17 months now, and we haven't had a leak since before he was 10 months old.

We've tried several different things, and I'm SO INTERESTED in other cloth diapering systems....so I'll write more soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment